Have you suffered an injury? Get a FREE callback today from one of our helpful team. Click Here!

What You Must Do If You Are Involved In An RTA

By November 21, 2013General
What You Must Do If You Are Involved In An RTA

What You Must Do If You Are Involved In An RTAWith the winter fast approaching and roads becoming less safe, you need to know what to do if you are involved in a road traffic accident (RTA), and one of these is to report it to the police as soon as possible.

We understand that being involved in, or being the cause of, a collision between several cars can be extremely distressing and traumatic, especially if someone has been hurt.

You may not be thinking clearly but you must try to remain calm at all times and take these practical steps we are going to go through.

And these are steps you really need to follow; you might be breaking the law otherwise.

If you were driving a car that was involved in an incident that injured someone else or has caused damage to another vehicle, there are things you most definitely need to do.

First of all, you should make sure everyone involved is ok. Then you must contact the emergency services and inform them of any injuries and let them know exactly what has happened.

When the police arrive they will ask for information on the accident and will request your personal information (name, address, etc.).

As well as that, if someone has been injured during the collision then you will have to provide your insurance details to the officer at the scene (if you don’t have it with you, then you need to take it to a nominated police station within seven days of an incident being reported).

If you fail to carry this out within the seven days then you are guilty of committing an offence and could receive a fine of £5,000 (maximum) and get five to ten points on your driving licence.

If you don’t even stop at the scene or report the accident then it is likely you will lose your licence and be disqualified from driving.

Regardless of whether there has been an injury caused or not, you may still have to exchange insurance details with anyone else involved, and this can happen at the scene or in the near future. Again, failing to cooperate is a criminal offence.

You will also need to inform your insurance company to let them know about the incident, even if you aren’t claiming anything. If you don’t let them know, they actually have the right to refuse to offer you cover in the future.

If you are on the receiving end of a crash, then you need to get in touch with a personal injury accident claims company that will take care of you.