Have you suffered an injury? Get a FREE callback today from one of our helpful team. Click Here!

One Of The Biggest Claims We Receive At Personal Injury Claims Scotland

By December 4, 2013General
One Of The Biggest Claims We Receive At Personal Injury Claims Scotland

One Of The Biggest Claims We Receive At Personal Injury Claims ScotlandHere at Personal Injury Claims Scotland we deal with many different claims from many different people.

We have received claims for Road Traffic Accidents (RTAs) and Public Liability claims, which cover sports and leisure injuries, industrial diseases and slipping or tripping on paving defects or slippery floors, amongst other things.

But one of the main things we tend to deal with are accidents at work.

If you don’t know much about accidents at work, then we will try to explain it to you here.

Whilst at work, your employer has a duty of care towards you and your fellow colleagues to protect you and inform you of any health and safety issues that you should be aware of.

Employers also have a responsibility to report certain accidents and incidents to the Health and Safety department of your local authority under the RIDDOR act (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations).

Things that should be reported include deaths, serious injuries (for example, broken bones), dangerous incidents (falling scaffolding, for example) and anything that could make employees be off work for more than three days.

Although it is up to your employer to report any of the incidents or problems, if you have been involved and you are off work then it is a good idea for you to make sure it has been reported in the correct manner.

If you are off work due to something that has been reported to RIDDOR then you should receive some form of sick pay; this may only be statutory sick pay, but you might be given more depending on what you have been involved in and on how your employer feels.

So if you have an accident at work you need to ensure it has been recorded in the accident book at work (this will only come into play if you are a larger company, smaller businesses don’t tend to have them).

Then you need to ensure it has been reported to the necessary people – the Health and Safety Executives.

Check your contract or speak to your employer about the sick pay you are going to receive.

And if you think the accident is the fault of negligence from your employer, then there is the opportunity for you to make a compensation claim in Scotland or anywhere else in the UK.

The sooner you make a claim, the better, but as long as it is made within three years of the actual incident / accident then you should be fine. You will most definitely need to speak to a personal injury claims company to begin your case.